The mashed potatoes are served and made by mix. It comes in a bag just add water and butter. Many people just come to KFC to get these potatoes and gravy.
Ingredients for the KFC Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups Idaho Potato Flakes
- 1 stick Margarine
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Hot Water
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat water add butter and margarine till melted.
- Add the salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the flakes and mix till it looks like regular potatoes.
- Add milk to proper consistency.
- Serve with gravy
KFC Gravy: Secret Recipe
The Gravy used to be made fresh with the Cracklings. Now it comes in a pouch and all you have to do is add water. Thank god for modified starch products.
Ingredients for the KFC Gravy Recipe:
- First we are going to make a roux with the melted shortening 1 1/2 tablespoon of breading flour.
- Cook this over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the roux browns in color to resemble a nice milk chocolate color.
- Once the mixture turns brown remove it from the heat and add the remaining flour and slowly add the liquid(s) to incorporate it so no lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 2 minutes reduce the heat and allow the mixture to thicken which would take about 3 to 5 minutes
KFC Coleslaw: Secret Recipe
Ingredients for KFC Coleslaw Recipe:
- 8 1/8 cups cabbage
- 1/3 cup carrot
- 1 teaspoon onion chopped fine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 cup milk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- First core the cabbage and shred the cabbage fine using the fine disk for the shredder attachment to the mixer.
- Then shred the cabbage.
- In a bowl combine with a whisk combine the buttermilk, mayonnaise, milk and lemon juice mix till well combined.
- Then add the seasoning.
- The last step is to add the sugar add the sugar to the sauce until well mixed in.
- Add the sauce to the cabbage and carrot mixture and mix well and allow the mixture to marinate for 13 hours.
Due to the waste of chicken in the restaurants the Colonel created a recipe to help use the chicken that was unable to be sold. So he devised the potpie recipe. See chicken could only sit and be sold for 2 hrs after it is fried.